Friday, January 23, 2009

Maybe I need to eat more comfort food

Dear Writers and Producers of Lost,

I’m completely hooked on your show. I have been since the very first episode when the plane crashed on that damn island. I watch every week.

I’m on the bus. Ok?

So there is no reason to end EACH and EVERY episode with a cliffhanger. I’m going to tune in next week no matter what.

And most of the time, you don’t just end them with regular cliffhangers either, but scenes with mysterious happenings or people that make no sense in the context of the episode. Scenes that force me to go to the internets and look stuff up. I get that you've created some sort of revolutionary melding of the medias, but, at the end of the day, I just want to watch TV.

Case in point: This week’s season opener ended with Ben talking to a woman who was facing away from the camera. She kept almost turning around, and the music was building and we waited for a huge reveal. When she finally turned around the music hit a note that made it clear we were supposed to exclaim, “Oh my god it’s Ms. Hawking who sold Desmond an engagement ring for Penny in that store in London the first time he time traveled and told him that he would never marry Penny!” Instead everyone in the room where I was said, “Who the FUCK is that?”

Because? You didn’t include that one little scene from that one episode in Season 3 in the recap episode. Because we watched that hour long recap episode before the season opener. She was not in it. (You also neglected to touch on the themes of time travel in the previous 4 seasons. Information that would have been VERY USEFUL to be reminded of before watching the new episode.)

Jerks.





However..... I do have to forgive you a little because you wrote the terrific line delivered by Hurley after Sayid broke him out of the mental institution:

“You know, maybe if you ate more comfort food, you wouldn't have to go around, shooting people.”

Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment